Friday 9 January 2015

Meet the author

K. A. Cross presents...

Sharon Straka Hendricks


About Sharon 

Sharon is in her 40's and she loves reading and writing. She realized her lifelong dream of becoming a published author when she wrote her first book Mike and the Deaf Student.  She is never seen without her Kindle Fire and she's always looking for new authors and books to discover.

Want to know more?

1. When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer? 

I have always wanted to be a writer. Writing has been a passion of mine since I was in elementary school. My teachers said that I had a way with the written word and I loved writing stories and poetry. About 8 years ago I discovered that I could work from home copywriting, so it was much better than working in fast food. We live in a very rural area, so there aren’t a lot of employment opportunities that are close to home.


2. In what kind of environment do you work best in?

I work best sitting on a recliner working on my laptop with the television or music in the background.


3. What's your favourite thing about being a writer? 

I am able to control what my characters do and what the situations they run into.


4. How did you come up with the idea for your latest book? 

Iknow the bullying is a huge problem and I wanted to write a book series about bullying but give it a new spin on it.


8. Do you plan out your books or do you just go with the flow? 

I generally go with the flow, as the muse directs.


10. Who is your favourite author? 

There are so many, it’s hard to choose.  My favorite horror author is Iain Rob Wright. My favorite fantasy authors, it’s a tossup between J K Rowling and Rick Riordan.


11. What’s your favourite genre? 

It’s a tie between horror and fantasy.


12. What’s next for you? 

I am working on both a longer novel and the next book in my WAMIMS series.


13. What advice would you give to someone just starting out? 

Don’t be discouraged and don’t let anyone naysay you.


15. If you were stranded on an island which three items could you not live with out? 

My laptop, my Kindle, and a pad of paper (for when my battery runs out).


18. What your guilty pleasure? 

Playing Wizard101


19. What’s your favourite season and why? 

I love the colors, smells, and look of fall.


21. How do you handle writers block? 

Itake a shower or go for a drive. That is often where my ideas come from.


22. What’s your favourite writing snack/ drink? 

 Iced tea and trail mix.


26. Sweet or sour?  

sweet


27. What three words best describe you? 

Kind, compassionate, emotional


28. What your fondest childhood memory? 

The day I met and shook the hand of Colonel James Irwin, the astronaut.


29. Would you prefer a quiet night in or a night on the town? 

Quiet night


30.  What has been the best day of your life so far? 

The day that a publisher accepted my manuscript.


34. If you could be any animal in the world what would you be and why? 

I’d love to be a cat, because I love cats and because they are so independent.


35. What was the last thing that made you cry? 

When I read the letter from my cousin’s daughter at Christmas. My uncle had died last May and the poem she wrote about last year was beautiful.


36.  If you could have any super power what would it be and why? 

I’d love to be able to fly, rather than having to drive everywhere.


37. If you only had one more day to live how would you spend it? 

I would spend it spending time with my family.


38. For many of us writing is not our full time job, what is yours? 

I am a full time writer. My full time writing job is copywriting but I hope to write my books full time eventually.


Mike And The Deaf Student


The Walk a Mile in My Shoes Club series of books address real issues facing children. Written for children between the ages of 6 and 10, Mike and the Deaf Student addresses the topic of bullying.
You can buy the book here:

http://amzn.to/1tOHdEG


Still want to know more?

You can find Sharon here:

https://twitter.com/WAMIMSAuthor

http://beatbullyingbythebook.wordpress.com

http://wamimsbookseries.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/sharonhendricksstraka


No comments:

Post a Comment