Thursday 22 January 2015

Meet The Author

K. A. Cross presents...
Patrick Hodges



About Patrick

Patrick Hodges lives in Arizona with his wife of fourteen years, Vaneza. After doing weekly columns for entertainment-related websites such as CinemaBlend and Reel Society, he is turning his attention to writing fiction. He is passionate about sending positive messages to young people. "Joshua's Island" is his first novel. A sequel is in the works.

Want to know more?

What's your favourite thing about being a writer?


Just one thing?  Oh, my… I hope this doesn’t sound too vain, but I love those moments when people, be it friends, co-workers or total strangers, tell me that they enjoy my writing. It really is a big deal to take it upon yourself to try to inspire or entertain others, and to know that something that you created is doing just that?  Well, it’s priceless.


How did you come up with the idea for your latest book?


In January 2013, I was overcome by a wave of nostalgia. I thought a lot about my middle-school days, which held so many memories for me, good and bad. I thought about my experiences of being bullied, and I started to fantasize about how I wish my formative years could have gone if I’d been in complete control of my own destiny. I played the fantasy over and over in my head, like a movie, adding chapters as I went. In September, I realized that I had a story with a beginning, a middle and an end, and then I thought, “Maybe I should write this down…” It wasn’t until I’d made several revisions and showed it to a few key people that I realized that I had something powerful and moving in my hands.

 

Do you ever base your characters on people you know?


Many of the characters in Joshua’s Island were based on people that I knew back in middle school. I like the idea of immortalizing people whose company I value in the form of a literary character, whether they be a hero, a villain or just a face in the crowd, even if I have to change a few details!


Do you ever wish that some of your characters were real?


Oh, God, yes. I wish I could give them all a big hug.


What do your family and friends think about your book/s?


They’ve all loved it. Some more than others, of course, and they’re not the type of people to hold back criticism. That’s why they’re my friends!


Who is your favourite author?


Recently, I’ve sampled the works of a lot of my fellow authors, many of whom are just starting out, and I see potential greatness in all of them. When I was younger, however, my favorite authors were Douglas Adams, Timothy Zahn and Terrance Dicks. I admire authors that can pull you into a story and not let go, and that’s a style I’ve always tried to emulate.

 

What’s your favourite genre?


I write in Young Adult, so I’ve tried to read as much as I can in that genre. I also enjoy fantasy, sci-fi and mystery.

What’s next for you?


I’m writing a sequel of sorts to Joshua’s Island. It will take place at the same school and feature some of the same characters, but take place three years later. The main focus will be Kelsey – my favorite character from Joshua’s Island – and will tackle a different social issue.

 

What advice would you give to someone just starting out?


They say that everyone has a story inside them. Special people have more than one. You just need to find a way to share it with everyone in the best possible way. Read as much as you can, hone your craft and surround yourself with people who will give you support and constructive criticism.  And, above all, BE YOURSELF!

 

What’s your favourite movie?


For drama, it would have to be The Usual Suspects. It’s a modern masterpiece and one of the best crime dramas ever conceived. For comedies, I’d say Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It’s been four decades, and people still quote it relentlessly, including myself. Plus, it’s still funny as hell.

 

If you could be born in another time when would you choose and why?


I would choose the future, maybe a few centuries down the road, because I would want to see if mankind has progressed to the point that things like war, racism and poverty have been eliminated. I would hope that at least we could become more unified and enlightened as a species.


If you wrote an autobiography about yourself what would you call it?


It’s Never Too Late.


What your guilty pleasure?


Anything with peanut butter in it.


What’s your favourite writing snack/ drink?


Anything with peanut butter in it.


Sweet or sour?


Sweet. Definitely sweet. I’m a chocoholic and I love to bake. Quite often with peanut butter.


What your fondest childhood memory?


Winning my school spelling be in the fifth grade. My fifteen minutes of fame. Even the bullies were impressed.


Would you prefer a quiet night in or a night on the town?


Definitely a quiet night in. Being a former bullied kid AND a writer, I’ve always been quite introverted!


If you could go back in time what one piece of advice would you give yourself?


“You can write, don’t doubt yourself so much. Nurture it, and don’t spend your life waiting. Oh, and avoid prom night. You’ll thank me later.”


If you could have any super power what would it be and why?


Knowing the future. Not the far future, maybe just a day or so. 


For many of us writing is not our full time job, what is yours?


I’m a medical biller for a company that caters to physical therapists. I have a great boss and great co-workers, and I love it.





Joshua's Island

Joshua is small for his age. He has been bullied relentlessly for years, and all of his friends have drifted away from him. Eve is a pretty girl who has just been recruited into the popular girls' clique. The two couldn't be more different. On the first day of eighth grade, their final year of middle school, their lives intersect when they are paired together as lab partners in Science class. At first reluctant just to be around him, Eve soon realizes that Joshua is nothing like the boy she'd been warned about, and through their partnership, their school's darkest secret is revealed to her. The relationship that forms between these unlikeliest of friends will lead them both on a path of self-discovery, a dangerous path that will teach them both the true meaning of friendship, loyalty, and most of all, love . . . a relationship that will not only change both of their lives forever, but the complexion of their entire school.

Buy it here:
 
 
 Still want to know more?
You can find Patrick here:
 
 
 
 
 Twitter: @Shrykespeare
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment