Sunday 25 January 2015

Meet The Author

K. A. Cross presents...

Chris G. Derrick


About Chris G. Derrick


 Chris G Derrick was born and grew up in a small town situated between the cities of Bath and Bristol in the south west of the UK. Born in 1957 his favourite genre of film has always been the Western. A birthday treat to watch The Magnificent Seven with some young friends when he was around six years of age no doubt had a hand in developing his life long appreciation of the Old West.
After leaving school Chris started his working life as an accountant, with a short spell in HM Royal Marines in his early twenties. From the 1980’s onwards he earned a living as an IT professional up until the end of March 2013.
Chris’s favourite part of the world happened to be the South Western states of the USA – Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and Utah. He'd always enjoyed writing, creating a picture with words, and still maintained his affection for a good Western and the cowboy way of life. 
With this in mind Chris decided he'd combine these three things - and write a Western himself set in those states of the USA.
The Tainted Dollar was written with a keen eye on western history, and there are plans for other books to follow. 
Each one will retain Jake Base - if not as the main then certainly as a central character within each story.



Want to know more?


1.  When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?

Ever since I was a child. I always had my head in a book.

2.  What's your favourite thing about being a writer?

Watching your characters come to life.

3.  How did you come up with the idea for your first book?

The US silver dollar on the books cover is an 1888 coin I purchased in Lincoln NM in 2010. I built the story around that coin.  
    
4.  What do your family and friends think about your book/s?

They’re happy for me. My wife has been really supportive when I go through the ‘down’ times which I guess all authors get. My mother really wishes my father was still around to see it.

5.  Do you plan out your books or do you just go with the flow?

I have a rough idea on where I want the story to go. Then I just let it lead me as I write. I find the editing process usually adds a few thousand more words. I guess it’s putting more flesh on the bones.

6.  What’s your favourite genre?

Westerns.

7.  What’s next for you?

I have two other novels written but need editing and so on. One is a direct follow on from The Tainted Dollar. The second is a book about the Santa Fe Trail that I actually spent the last nine months of 2013 writing. The main character of The Tainted Dollar is also in this book, but doesn’t have quite such a central role. That privilege belongs to someone else.

8.  What advice would you give to someone just starting out?

Be prepared for the ‘dark days’ when you wonder if anyone else will ever want to read what you’ve spent hours writing. Plan ahead – see how the book you’re writing can possibly lead into the next novel.   

9.  What’s your favourite season and why?

Spring and summer. Living in the UK the winters are wet and dismal – and too long. 

10.  If you weren’t a writer what would your dream job be?

Owner of a ranch with plenty of horses in Arizona.

11.  Sweet or sour?

Sour.

12.  If you could go back in time what one piece of advice would you give yourself?

Hahaha. Don’t rush, or be persuaded into making, major decisions.

13.  Do you believe in fate?

Absolutely.

14.  If you could have any super power what would it be and why?

I’m sure there’s not a super power for this but maybe there should be. I’d say the ability to ride a horse like a Cheyenne.

15.  If you only had one more day to live how would you spend it?

With the people who matter to me, and somewhere awesome. Maybe at the Grand Canyon or Monument Valley.

16.  For many of us writing is not our full time job, what is yours?

I retired at the end of March 2013. Since then this has been my full time job. I keep telling my wife I’ve never worked so many hours for so many days a weeks as I do now. Would I put the clock back to pre March 2013? Never!



The Tainted Dollar

Jake Base - a US Marshal, but with a difference. The man even looked different to other men. Orphaned by the age of twelve and raised by the Cheyenne as one of their own. Now back amongst his birth people he becomes a US marshal and is on the trail of two back-shooting brothers. Eventually he ends up in Texas where he finds more than he could ever imagine.
As well as the murdering brothers Jake also discovers a rustling gang and a town sheriff. A man who is nothing like he first appears. One thing the US marshal finds in Laredo that he didn’t bargain for – his first mind melting experience of love. Somehow he has to work his way through everything. Not least these newly discovered and wild emotions – in order to get the job done.
Difficult decisions will need to be made, people will be hurt.
This story has it all, bar room brawls, brutal murder, cattle rustling, dusty streets and the emotion of a newly discovered, but dangerous, love.
Throughout everything one thing remains constant, the silver coin.
The Tainted Dollar.


 
Buy it here:

Amazon.Com
Amazoamzn.com/B00Q1I1QGC

n link:  
The Tainted Dollar is also available at the iStore as well as Barnes & Noble (NOOK) etc.

Still want to know more?
You can find Chris G. Derrick here:

 https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/9875327.Chris_G_Derrick



No comments:

Post a Comment