Monday 18 May 2015

Meet The Author

K. A. Cross presents...

Lindsey Schussman


About Lindesy

Lindsey is aphotographer, a lover of karaoke, and up until recently, popped her cherry on writing. 

Want to know more?

1. When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?

I don't think I ever wanted to be a writer... As a child, I imagined being a police officer, working with game and fish, or even working at the zoo. But I never imagined being a writer... I had no attention span for such things. I am surprised, even today I was able to complete a book.  

2. In what kind of environment do you work best in?

Dark... Music that fits my mood, and of course a cold beer.

3. What's your favourite thing about being a writer?

Being able to make up a story. Making your own characters, your own worlds, lives and loves...  I laugh at myself sometimes, playing god in my books... I try to put my characters through as much crap as possible. 

4. How did you come up with the idea for your latest book?

Daydreams... The switchblade Mamma was made up in my mind out of my boredom at work. It was kind of a slew of multiple thoughts and stories that meshed into one. 

5. Do you ever base your characters on people you know?

Yes, but not all. Lillian, the main character in The Switchblade Mamma was based off of me. The nickname "Switchblade Mamma" was given to me by one of my former employers. I always carried two or more knives to work. He would always smile and ask how many I was packing that day. Paige, another character was based off of a love interest of mine at a time. Of course, in the book, Paige was no where near as tall, but all else was spot on. There are also a lot of references, and or hidden clues in my book of family and friends as well.  

6. Do you ever wish that some of your characters were real?

Beside the villains, who doesn't? If I could sit down with Lillian and Paige during one of their quarrels, I would just laugh.    

7. What do your family and friends think about your book/s?

Family and friends... They love you, and despite my crazy thoughts put to paper, they loved it. 

8. Do you plan out your books or do you just go with the flow?

The first one I planned out. I named and drew out all chapters, writing a short paragraph of what was to transpire. The second one... I am currently working on is a, go with the flow. I get stuck, bad. Yes, I thought of it, but not planned thoroughly. Because of it's short story base, I am having to use a lot of memories/dreams from my past.  
 
9. If you could ask a character from any book a question, who would it be and what would you ask?

Yikes... I couldn't. I created them, I am them. I would already know the answer.  

10. Who is your favourite author?

Toss up... Nicholas Evans, Nora Robert, and Laurel K. Hamilton.

11. What’s your favourite genre?

I dont really have one... I read romance to sc-fi.  

12. What’s next for you?

I have a lot of ideas for different stories. The problem is finding the time to get it out of my head, properly. Main goal, is to get The Switchblade Mamma series complete. 

13. What advice would you give to someone just starting out?

I couldn't. I myself am still starting out.  

14. What’s your favourite movie?

Galaxy Quest

15. If you were stranded on an island which three items could you not live with out?

Knife, chapstick... Oh, a hat!

16. If you could be born in another time when would you choose and why?

Ohh, between the 1800's and the 1940's? That seems to my favorite era. When everyone began to seek gold for fame and a better life, or the the fact that they were exploring the somewhat unknown. The rise of great towns, and the history and dust that turned them into ghosts. Hero's rode into town, tipping their hats, and villains would shoot you to steal the boots from your feet. I could walk into the desert, and stand, listening as the wind sent echos from the past whispering into my ears.    
     
17. If you wrote an autobiography about yourself what would you call it?

How the blade got me started?? 

18. What your guilty pleasure?

Knives, swords and guns oh my! Anything with an edge, or made out of metal.

19. What’s your favourite season and why?

Spring... but later. At least when all of the leaves have grown back.

20. Do you have a nickname?

Shoes, or Switchblade Mamma

21. How do you handle writers block?

Get my MP3 player, get a cold beer and sit outside so that I am under the stars and can see the moon. Light up a cigarette and wait for that moment when I feel the tinglees from a good song. 

22. What’s your favourite writing snack/ drink?

BEER

23. How do you cope with distractions?

Not very well... If its good enough I am out. I need to be alone in order to get some good writing in.

24. What would be your ideal holiday?

Like as in holiday, holiday, or vacation holiday? I have not ever had an actual vacation, and as far as holidays go, well, lets just say, they ain't what they used to be.

25. If you weren’t a writer what would your dream job be?

Anything outside. Anything where I am always moving. Anything that puts a smile on my face on a daily basis.

26. Sweet or sour?

Mostly sweet.

27. What three words best describe you?

Practical, wise, disciplined.

28. What your fondest childhood memory?

My mom, dad, my sister and I... On the boat at lake Powell. To many good ones to sum them up into one. But it was a good childhood while it lasted.

29. Would you prefer a quiet night in or a night on the town?

Don't get me wrong, I do love my karaoke, but sometimes a quiet night in is all the doctor ordered. 

30. What has been the best day of your life so far?

I dont think I have gotten to that point yet. Everything that I have been through, all that I have learned, I think it is still leading up to it. I have had a lot of best days, but as I get older... I look back, thinking it has to get better.   

31. If you could go back in time what one piece of advice would you give yourself?

Spend more time with my dad. If I could tell him my true feelings, and even if he walked away, he would still walk away knowing that I was proud and grateful to have him as a father.

32. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?

I have done a lot of crazy things. I was a very crazy kid. I have mellowed out much over the years... Started myself on fire with flaming glue... All I got to say about that.  

33. Do you believe in fate?

I do. I have met people in my life that has either influenced me, or destroyed me, but it was all for a reason. Who I am now, is because of them.

34. If you could be any animal in the world what would you be and why?

I am stuck on this one... So many animals, capable of so many things, but not one travels the world, water or land. I wouldn't want to be stuck in any one temperature zone. I would like to travel them all.

35. What was the last thing that made you cry?

My dad died a month ago... He used to drag race a 1967 gold Chevelle Malibu. It was his life, his baby. The car had been covered up in the garage for more than twenty years, a reminder of his past marriage, past life. Due to a twist of fate, the car came home with my sister and I. Seeing this ghost, this relic my father held in such high regard, once again after so many years basking in the sunlight. Yes, I teared up as I tried to convince my stepmom I could get her running again. 

36. If you could have any super power what would it be and why?

It was at one time to have superhuman power, but now... Just to talk to the dead.

37. If you only had one more day to live how would you spend it?

Spend it with my mom, dad and sister.

38. For many of us writing is not our full time job, what is yours?

Something extremely boring which led to right here, right now. Inventory control, in electronics manufacturing. Trust me, not my dream job, but it pays the bills. 


The Switchblade Mama

Lillian Ann Cross is forced to live the worst nightmare of her life. She is an everyday middle class American, striving to survive in an everyday changing world. Her life was abruptly

turned upsidedown forever as she was kidnapped and forced into a world called “Hen Fighting.”

A world in which women fight and bets are made upon their bloodshed.Lillian is forced to comply due to the threats made upon her mother's life. Being a loving person her whole life, Lillian finds difficulty grasping her new functions. As she is conditioned to live in her new world, she is subjected to an experimental procedure. A procedure which has taken the lives of a few before her. As she survives, she now has to learn how to live with her new “implants.” Implants which strengthen her bones, giving her strength and an upper ability amongst others. Implants which require weekly sustenance, or she will die.


Buy it from Amazon


http://www.amazon.co.uk/Switchblade-Mamma-Lindsey-Schussman/dp/1502301067









No comments:

Post a Comment