Monday 30 March 2015

Meet The Author

K. A. Cross presents...

Ron D. Voigts



About Ron

I'm a writer!  It's a zen thing.  A mantra.  A dream. A way of life.  It's a fine madness that draws you in and makes you sit at a keyboard, plunking out words one letter at a time. You wake in the middle of the night thinking what if a meteor crashed into my house. Hmmm?  Or perhaps, how to commit murder and get away with it?  What if you were a foot soldier during the French Revolution? Got to write it down and see how it ends.

Want to know more?

1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Growing up I daydreamed a lot. I’d go on mental adventures to places and worlds I’d never otherwise see.  As a teenager, I wrote down the stories. Then I took a long break to go to college, marry, have a family and a career. Now I’m back with my dreams.

2. In what kind of environment do you work best in?

Sitting in a comfortable chair with my laptop. Music or the TV playing in the background. 

3. What's your favourite thing about being a writer?

Seeing a world unfold that never existed before. Hearing the words form. If someone reads the story and buys in, they too become a part of the world.  It can be one of the most creative things to do, creating something from nothing.

4. How did you come up with the idea for your latest book? 

My latest book, The Witch’s Daughter, started with a number of unrelated characters. First was Cavendish Brown, an ex-army ranger who had recently lost his wife. Next was Jane, a mentally disturbed psychic who divines the past by touching objects. Finally came Alex a Goth type woman whose mother runs the town and may be a witch.  I put the trio together solving a cold case murder.

5. Do you ever base your characters on people you know?

Sometimes. The bad guy in The Witch’s Daughter was based on someone I know.  Not the bad part, but looks, demeanor and everything was inspired by a real person.  Same thing in my book Claws of the Griffin. The bad guy was inspired by an ex-boss. These are mystery stories so I don’t want to give away too much.

6. Do you ever wish that some of your characters were real?

Not the scary ones.  I think Alex, the Goth witch from my latest book, would be fun to spend a day with. She knows how to live and have fun. 
 
7. What do your family and friends think about your book/s?

I get a lot of support from friends and family. In fact my younger daughter, a graphic designer, has done some of my covers. My other daughter runs a book blog, Bittersweet-Enchantment (http://www.bittersweet-enchantment.com/). She reviewed my earlier book Strigoi The Blood Bond and absolutely loved. It.

8. Do you plan out your books or do you just go with the flow?

I try to do outlines and character profiles, but much of the story comes from inspiration along the way. Sometimes I worry but how things will work out, but somehow they do.  I guess I’d be called a “panster” when it comes to writing.

9. What’s your favourite genre?

My taste in books is a bit eclectic, reading whatever catches my attention.  If I had to narrow the field a bit, I’d gravitate toward horror and mystery.  
 
10. What’s next for you?

I’m about half way through the second book in the Cavendish Brown Paranormal Mystery series.  This one is The Fortune Teller’s Secret.  I don’t want to tell too much, but the trio from The Witch’s Daughter are on trail of another killer with a few interesting twists, including a ghostly belly dancer. Ooops! I may have said too much.

11. What advice would you give to someone just starting out?

Learn to write well. Too many wannabe writers put out books without understanding the craft. They say you need to write a million words before you really start understanding it.

12. What’s your favourite movie?

I have many favorites. Most recently Predestination garnered my attention. It plays around with time paradoxes. This is a spoiler but it poses what if someone could travel through time and be their own mother and father. The movie has an even greater paradox in it but I’ll leave that alone.

13. If you were stranded on an island which three items could you not live without?

A laptop that runs off solar energy so I could continue to write my stories. My Kindle, also powered by the sun if they made it, so I could read my books. And my best friend, my wife.

14. If you could be born in another time when would you choose and why?

I’ve always fancied living in Victorian times. I am a bit into steampunk and I think living in a world like Jules Verne imagined would be exciting.

15. What's your guilty pleasure?

I got two and if I can find them together in the same mix, so much better. Dark chocolate and ice cream. 

16. What’s your favourite season and why?

Summer. Warm days. No snow to shovel. 

17. Do you have a nickname?

Yep, one I have kept a secret except for a select few. The Sundance Kid, though sometimes it gets shortened to The Kid. After watching the old movie Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, my best friend and I practiced our quick draw. I could always out draw him and he was always calculating the angles. Butch and I still stay in contact.

18. How do you handle writer's block?

Cry. Pout. Pace the floor. Vow to quit writing. But I don’t and eventually something comes to me. It’s not always torture. Watching the words flow onto the screen is rewarding and exciting.

19. What’s your favourite writing snack/ drink?

Coke Zero or Pepsi Max. Either one. I thought it was the caffeine at first, but I read that cola beans have theobromine the same ingredient found on chocolate. And I love chocolate. 

20. How do you cope with distractions?

Some distractions work well for me. Music. TV playing in the background as long as it’s not too engrossing. I can tune out voices—my wife says I’m really good at that. Now an annoying fly buzzing around my head would be difficult.

21. If you weren’t a writer what would your dream job be?

Probably sounds boring, but I’d love to work around books.  Maybe a clerk at a Barnes & Noble, or a librarian. 

22. Sweet or sour?

Sweet. My downfall is candy and desserts.  It’s probably a family thing as my mother always likes her sugar treats.

23. Would you prefer a quiet night in or a night on the town?

I’m probably more a quiet night guy.  Fire in fireplace. Favorite music playing, A good book. Good friends to enjoy the evening with.

24. If you could have any super power what would it be and why?

Speed. I think being the Flash would be fun, to get from here to there as superhuman speeds. Imagine all the time I could save. Think of how many books I could write.


The Witch's Daughter

Investigative reporter and recent widower, Cavendish Brown, is unemployed and floundering. Coerced into returning to his childhood home by the town's eccentric matriarch, Cavendish finds himself involved in murder, deceit, and a not-so-subtle attempt at matchmaking. Joined by Jane, a disturbed psychic, and Alexandra, a young Goth woman with uncanny abilities, they follow leads into the hills of West Virginia to catch the killer. A sheriff who shoots first and asks questions later makes solving the case difficult for the trio. Adding further complications is an ex-girlfriend with a mob hitman on her trail who seeks Cavendish’s help. 
Immersed in a never-ending spiral of clues and secrets, he must unlock the darkness that surrounds the enigmatic Jane, stay ahead of the law, and come to terms with his own grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment