Monday 16 March 2015

Meet The Author

K. A. Cross presents...


Kevin Marsh


 


About Kevin 


Kevin Marsh was born in Canterbury, Kent in 1961. He lived and went to school there before attending the Technical College, (now Canterbury College), as an apprentice sheet metal worker. During his five years of training he worked in a small local company with his father and brother. In 1981 he was married and moved to Whitstable, (his father's home town).
He currently works in further education teaching steel fabrication and welding whilst writing novels and painting in his spare time. His first published novel, The Belgae Torc, was launched on 30th June 2012 and his second book, The Witness, published in March 2013. The second novel in the TorcTrilogy, The Gordian Knot, was published in July 2014.


Want to know more?


1. When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?


I have always been fascinated with books and from an early age was an avid reader.  I suppose I wanted to become a writer when I began to question how books were put together.  I still wonder what is going through an author’s mind when I’m reading a novel.  I tend to read between the lines and probably try to see too much in a simple story.

I wrote my first book when I was about eleven years old.  I can remember having the manuscript typed out at school.  In those days the commerce teacher also taught typing, so the students in the class were each given a chapter to type.  That was done in duplicate, blue copy paper was used then!  I remember being quite famous at school because of my writing.


2. What kind of environment do you work in best?


I like to work in the morning if I can.  I’m at my most creative from 6am until about 2pm.  Ideally I would work like this then use my afternoons for research or copy typing/editing.  Unfortunately this does not happen often so I’m forced to work from about 7pm until I fall asleep!

I have a study at home where I work or alternatively on the dining room table.  In the summer my garden is a nice place to sit and write.  

Sometimes I find music playing softly in the background helps, classical perhaps or something quiet and soothing.


3. What’s your favourite thing about being a writer?


I love being creative, the fact that I can create a character who will completely dominate my thoughts is a marvellous thing.  I like the challenge of the problems that arise when writing about things that I’m not quite sure about, I love to research and learn about new subjects.  

I adore talking to people about my work.  Promoting my work is great even if I don’t manage to sell a book.  The joy of sharing my writing experiences with a fellow book lover is probably the best thing for me. 


4. How did you come up with the idea for your latest book?


My latest book is the second part of a trilogy.  Of course the plot was pretty much set by the first book in the series and most of my characters are there.  The challenges I faced when writing this book was not giving too much away.  Even though the plot had to develop, keeping some of it back for the final book in the trilogy was difficult.  This was a great discipline and I learnt so much from writing this book.


5. Do you plan out your books or just go with the flow?


I must admit that I don’t do too much planning.  I have a small notebook dedicated to each of my novels where I dash down ideas.  Some of these ideas never come to anything but form the foundation on which the novel is based.  I usually just go with the flow, creating the characters who then usually take over.

I have a story that I began about four years ago that has beenmoth balled.  There are copious notes and research dedicated to this project, even detailed character profiles. It’s not like me to be so thorough but it was necessary as I knew that it would be some time before I could continue writing this book.

I know writers who make detailed plans before writing their novels, but that is not for me.


6. Who is your favourite author?


I like to read historical fiction so my favourite authors are Barbara Erskine, Elizabeth Chadwick and Bernard Cornwell.  I read a lot of different books though and have discovered some really good authors on Goodreads.


7. What advice would you give someone just starting out?


It is most important to remember that a writer writes.  It doesn’t really matter in the beginning what you write about as long as you get words written down.  From that something might develop then you are off.  Research your subjects thoroughly.  It is often said that you should write about what you know, but as authors we often get involved in situations that are quite unfamiliar.  Research is very important so do it well.


8. If you could be born in another time when would you choose and why?


I love the 1920’s and 30’s.  The fashions, design and music I find most pleasing.  I would of course have to be born wealthy as it was terribly hard for the majority of people living at that time.  


9. How do you handle writers block?


Each of my books has a little notebook which is stuffed full of ideas.  It is here that I find inspiration when I feel my ideas drying up.  It’s essential to add to my notebook as my novel progresses, so I end up with a mine of information and ideas that often do not find their way into print, but I can always use this in another book.


10. What’s your favourite writing snack/drink?


I drink coffee and loads of it, but when I am in the zone typing away, I often forget I have a mug of coffee beside me.  Inevitably it goes cold, so my favourite drink when writing could be said to be iced coffee!  I am also a chocoholic, so as long as I have something chocolate coated then I’m happy!


11. What would be your ideal holiday?


I adore holidaying in France.  A gite in the country is very inspiring for me.  I always make sure that I have work to do when on holiday.  Sitting down beside a pool with a glass of wine, my manuscript and pen is my idea of time well spent.  That is after we have been out sightseeing of course.  


12. If you weren’t, a writer what would be your dream job?


I would be a pilot.  I love flying and have been at the controls of an aircraft.  When I was young, I wanted to be an astronaut. I still dream about it today, so maybe that is a story waiting to be written.


13. Sweet or sour?


As I’m a chocoholic it has to be sweet for me!


14. For many of us writing is not our full time job, what is yours? 


I’m a Sheet Metalworker by trade.  I have worked in Further Education for fifteen years teaching my trade, but feel that now it’s time to reduce my working hours and concentrate more on my writing career.


15. What’s next for you?


I am working on the final part of my trilogy, called ‘The TorcTrilogy’.  The first book published in 2012 is ‘The Belgae Torc’, the second published 2014 is ‘The Gordian Knot’ and the third; well that is a secret!

Once the trilogy has been completed I plan to work on a novel called ‘The Cellist’.  This is a book I started to write about four years ago, but it got side lined by ‘The Torc Trilogy’.

The characters in this book have been very patient, but as time goes by I can hear them beginning to complain inside my head, they will have their story told!



The Gordian Knot is the second book in The Torc Trilogy


“People had died because of the Belgae Torc and somehow she felt responsible.” 

TWELVE MONTHS has passed since the traumatic events that almost claimed her life and Dr Orlagh Gairne is looking forward to a well-earned holiday. 
With her partner, Jerry, they jet off for the Aegean coast where they plan to make the most of the Mediterranean sun and visit the ancient sites of Anatolia. 
The Phoenix Legion, still reeling from a humiliating defeat, have re-grouped and are now planning the next phase of their quest. They are in possession of the Belgae Torc, but this is not enough to ensure total power so they must rely on the druids and their connection with the spirit world. 
Whilst searching for treasure in the Sea of Azov, Jack Harrington and his team make an unexpected discovery and with the past merging with the present are unable to avoid being drawn in to another deadly battle. 
The Belgae Torc, Jack Harrington and The Phoenix Legion are far from her thoughts, but as Orlagh enjoys her holiday with the man she loves, these forces come together. Will she manage to avoid another conflict or will she become a victim of circumstances that are beyond her control? 


Buy it here:


http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gordian-Knot-Kevin-Marsh-ebook/dp/B00M0ESNSA


Still want to know more?

You can find Kevin here:


 www.kevinmarshnovels.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment