Monday 23 March 2015

Meet The Author


K. A. Cross presents...

JL Snyder


About JL Snyder

Jeffrey (JL) Snyder can be referred to as what many call a late bloomer. Sparked by words of encouragement from his high school English teacher, Snyder learned he had a knack for writing. By not immediately acting upon those words, the flames that were ignited so long ago flickered within him for many years. There came a point in his life when they almost extinguished. That all changed when God blessed him with an angel. She reignited the flames within him with love, motivation and support. Luckily, he can now call that angel his wife.  

Snyder is an avid reader of fiction as well as comic book/graphic novel fiction. Many of the books that line his shelves are written by top author/artists Doug Tennapel, Michael Avon Oeming and Jeff Lemire. He is a self taught artist who is also fond of the Japanese Manga style of drawing. As a writer of fiction, Snyder enjoys walking in the footsteps of the characters he creates. Battle Cry is his first novel. 

Snyder earned a Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing from the University of Texas at El Paso. He is currently pursuing his Master's Degree and is working on the second volume of Battle Cry.

Want to know more?

In what kind of environment do you work best in? 

A peaceful and quiet environment is my ideal writing setting. But, I don't like

writing in one place. I need to move around and write in different places.

What's your favorite thing about being a writer?

Entering the world of my characters is something that really excites me. It’s a 

place far from reality. I’m a character interacting with and living among other 

characters in a fascinating new world. I have freedom to create and do and 

anything in this world.  

How did you come up with the idea for your latest book?

Battle Cry was inspired by my favorite cartoon, Samurai Jack. It was on the 

Cartoon Network during the early 2000's. The quest for vengeance theme really 

appealed to me. 

Do you ever wish that some of your characters were real? 

What, they’re not real? 

Do you plan out your books or do you just go with the flow? 

I always try to outline my story first before I begin writing. The outline serves as

a guide to better direct my story. But as you probably well know, things 

constantly change once you begin writing a story. And with those changes, I 

soon find myself going with the flow.

Who is your favorite author? 

There are several authors that I enjoy reading. Italo Calvino and HP Lovecraft 

are at the top of my list.

What’s your favorite genre? 

Action/adventure. I also love reading Manga and graphic novels.

What’s next for you? 

Right now, I’m very excited because the second volume of Battle Cry will be 

published very soon. It should be out before the summer.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out? 

Keep writing. Be patient. Keep writing. Be positive. And most of all keep

writing. 

What’s your favorite movie? 

Ha, it's very hard for me to pick just one movie. Are you kidding me? There are 

a lot of movies that I enjoy watching. But I consider myself old school, so I 

would have to say that the original Planet of the Apes and the Highlander are 

movies I can watch over and over again.

What’s your favorite season and why? 

I like all the seasons, especially fall. It brings back fond memories of my

childhood diving into freshly raked leaf piles. 

How do you handle writers block? 

I deal with it. Getting frustrated and angry isn’t going to help ideas and words

come to mind any faster!

What are your favorite writing snack and/or drink? 

Sesame sticks and an ice cold Coke!

How do you cope with distractions? 

Get away from them. Whenever I become distracted I go somewhere else and

continue writing!


Sweet or sour? 

Sweet. Definitely sweet!


What three words best describe you? 

Wise, good-hearted and persistent.


What is your fondest childhood memory? 

Going crab fishing with my dad and my older brother off the docks on New Jersey coast. I really enjoyed those days. Oh and the crabs were always delicious. Thanks dad!


What has been the best day of your life so far? 

The day I married the love of my life. 


Do you believe in fate? 

Sure, I believe that fate plays a small role in people’s lives. But I think more importantly, it’s what you do with that fate you are given. That is the key.


If you could have any super power what would it be and why? 

The ability to fly. Who wouldn’t want to fly? Save time, gas and cash.




Battle Cry

Sixteen year old Kaí-Ling was raised in the ways of the sword. The child of a former samurai warrior and an American mother embarks on a journey to right the wrongs life has dealt her. The lifelong lessons and skills she acquires as well as the friends she makes along the way aid her in her quest to fulfill her destiny. Robbed of her father's love before she was born, Kaí-Ling now seeks vengeance upon those who took him from her.

Buy it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Cry-JL-Snyder/dp/1618632965

Still want to know more?
You can find JL Snyder here:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/15047244-jeffrey-snyder






No comments:

Post a Comment