Sunday 23 November 2014

Meet The Author

K. A. Cross Presents...

Diana J. Febry


An accidental writer of very British mysteries, set in the Cotswolds.

Want to know more?

1.    When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?

I’m not sure I did. I’ve always been a daydreamer and avid reader. Whenever I’ve felt stressed. I’ve turned to writing stories, as a way of organising my thoughts. Many stories have been thrown away. My husband suggested in 2011, I try to get my work published.

 
2.    In what kind of environment do you work best in?

Very quiet, with no music or television in the background. 


3.   Do you ever base your characters on people you know?

Yes! I call it the Frankenstein method. I’m very naughty like that! I take a personality flaw of someone I know quite well, but I’ll change their age, sex, situation and name and see where it takes me.


4.   Do you plan out your books or do you just go with the flow?

My books are very character driven. I have a very clear picture of my main characters but a very loose idea of plot.


5.  If you could ask a character from any book a question, who would it be and what would you ask?

Heathcliffe, how did you make your fortune?”


6.   Who is your favourite author?

Val McDermid. I love everything she writes, especially, TheWire In The Blood, series.


7.  What’s your favourite genre?

Mystery/Crime. I’m fascinated both by how ordinary people behave in extreme circumstances and how and why people become disturbed and evil. I love trying to guess the guilty party.

 
8.   What’s next for you?

I’m working on a third DCI Hatherall mystery. After that I’ll probably write another stand-alone novel.


9.  What advice would you give to someone just starting out?

Write the books you want to read and about things you feel passionate about.


10.    If you wrote an autobiography about yourself what would you call it?

A tragic comedy of errors.


11.   What’s your favourite season and why?

I love being outdoors. All seasons have good and bad points. If pushed, I’d say early autumn, when the leaves start to change colour.


12.  Do you have a nickname?

For some reason, I’ve had loads over the years. Ones I can remember are, MiMi, Jack, Moppy, Mrs Lucky and Ria.


13.   How do you handle writers block?

Keep the phrase, “You can’t edit a blank page,” clearly in my mind and just write. The beauty of writing now, is how easy it is to delete, edit or copy and paste. 


14.    If you weren’t a writer what would your dream job be?

I would love to have the talent to produce world class young horses. As a child I dreamt of winning The Badminton Horse Trials.


15.   Would you prefer a quiet night in or a night on the town?

A quiet night in. Even in my twenties, I preferred an evening in a village pub with a few friends rather than partying.


16.   If you could go back in time what one piece of advice would you give yourself?

Accept that some people simply won’t like you, so don’t waste time trying to please them. Concentrate on liking yourself and being with people who accept the real you.


17.    What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?

When I was 17 years old, I got onto a plane to America, knowing nobody, with just a name and address of someone who’d meet me at O’Hara airport, Chicago. It was a fabulous year, by sheer luck. 


18.   If you could have any super power what would it be and why?

The ability to force people to be honest with themselves and others. Unhappiness and complications are caused too frequently by pointless dishonesty.



Bells On Her Toes

DCI Peter Hatherall is called in to investigate a shooting on the Earl of Ditchburn’s country estate. The Earl’s activities have angered animal rights and environmental groups but subsequent deaths suggest Elmsgrove Racehorse Yard is the target. There is more at stake than a horse race and time is running out for Hatherall to solve the case before the culprit kills again.

Buy It from Amazon:


Still Want To Know More?
You Can Find Diana on:

Facebook: 


Goodreads:







No comments:

Post a Comment